Friday, September 10, 2010

Windows 7 Upgrade

A few days ago, I updated my wife's computer from Vista to Win 7 Home Premium.  Everything went fine, except I couldn't log into the internet with the wireless connection.  My wife was really ticked.  "Now why was this upgrade necessary?"  It's supposed to make life simpler.  Uh-huh.

After 3 days of discussions with the cable Internet provider, the router manufacturer, my computer savvy daughter and her computer savvy husband, and finally Microsoft, I was able to resolve the problem.  It seems the Norton Internet Security software thought I was under a virus attack and refused to let me use the wireless connection.

It took an hour and a half of Microsoft tech time to figure that out, so I don't feel too brain dead about it.

Anyway, I deleted the antivirus software, got the wireless router to work, and reinstalled the antivirus software.  Everybody seems happy now.  I know I am.

The whole process was very educational and I have a better understanding of the operating system now. 

Not that I expect to do it again, anytime soon.

No comments: