Thursday, October 27, 2011

Wine Worries

I got the juice pails from Universal Carbonics yesterday.  There were no instructions.  The woman at the store said just stir up the yeast and wait. I waited until the buckets had thawed and then opened them.  After sanitizing my equipment, I took hydrometer readings (1.080 for the Lambrusco and 1.090 for the Merlot/Cabernet Sauvignon blend.  Then I stirred them and recovered them. In three days, I'll check them out to see if fermentation has begun,

I'm worried that there  might not be enough headroom in the supplied buckets.  There is only 2" headspace and it may foam over.  I probably should have two 7.9 gallon fermenters to transfer the juice to.  I have one and I may put it into action.

It will take a year to complete the aging of the wine.  I don't know if I have the patience for that.  I made Sherry about 30 years ago and it was so good, I drank it within two weeks.

No comments: