Monday, May 24, 2010

RIP DELL

My computer died. No suddenly, like a heart attack, but slowly, in incremental pieces, like cancer.

It was a Dell. Now it is a Dead Dell.

First the hard drive gave out. It was a Maxtor. Dell replaced it free of charge, but I lost a lot of data. After that I was diligent at backing up. For about two months.

A year later the replacement drive failed. It was no longer under warranty, so I replace it with a Western Digital. I rescued some of the data with Handy Recovery.

Next the LCD monitor became unstable and the picture rolled and shook. I replaced it with the old CRT monitor from my Gateway 2000.

The sound card died and then I had memory problems. Then it stopped completely.

RIP DELL.

I've decided to assemble my own PC. I want it to be able to edit video and audio material that I generate, so it has to be fast.

I may reuse the DVD burner from the Dell, until it dies. I have a Blu-Ray burner that I got as part of a package deal from Videoguys.

I also have two WD hard drives that I have been using as external drives with a WD docking station.

I need to do this piecemeal, due to budget restraints. I'll keep you posted on this blog.

No comments: