Wednesday, August 4, 2010

There are a lot of articles being written about how Google and EBay monitor your searches and sell personal profiles to various advertisers.

I decided to mix things up. Every once in a while, I'll search for something strange (to me), like pig farming or taxidermy, just to confuse things.

A few days a ago, I searched eBay for accordions, blacksmithing, glass blowing, and other things I'll never use. I was amazed at the results that I got.

Now to see if I get targeted ads for any of these.

When I was a technician for anti-aircraft missiles in the army, the air force would stage mock attacks and try to jam our signals. We in turn, tried to jam theirs. This was known as counter-jamming.

That's how I view my pseudo-searches. Counter-jamming the profiling system.

No comments: